- They are too loud
- They are too destructive
- They are too messy
- They bite
- They are plucking their feathers
- I don't have enough time
- I'm having a baby
- I lost my job
- Bird was given as a gift- not really wanted
- doesn't like all household members
- It is too expensive
- and many more
Please remember that companion bird can be very expensive to take care of properly. They live a very long time. Anywhere from 20-100 + years. You need to consider all of these things when you are considering adopting a parrot.
Adopting a bird is not to be thought of as an easier and cheaper way to acquire a pet parrot. Whether purchasing retail or adopting caring for a pet parrot is a huge responsibility.
The very best adoption results are with those people who are willing to come out several times and get to know the bird prior to the adoption. Spending time with them here in their familiar territory will help the bond once they are in your home environment. You must bring a suitable carrier to pick the bird up in. You must already have the cage set up and approved before taking the bird home.
Because of this our adoption process is lengthy and strict. Please read over our website first to see what we are looking for in an adoptive home. After this- if you feel you qualify as an adoptive parent please fill out the Parrot Interest Survey. Once this is turned in and we have accepted this part of the application process we will ask for you to send us a 25.00 nonrefundable application fee. After this there will be a home visit set up. Once the home visit is complete (if passed) the last step will be to come out to the Haven to visit the birds.
STEPS TO ADOPTION- RE-EMPHASIZED
1. Read the website to make sure you qualify.
2. If you have any questions before you want to fill out the application, please send an email to email@example.com.
3. Read all of the forms/information prior to filling out the Parrot Interest Survey.
4. Fill out Parrot Interest Survey in its entirety.
5. Board members will review your application.
6. You will be contacted within 1 - 2 weeks to let you know if we feel we have an adoptable bird that would be a good match for you. You are more than welcome to put the name of a specific bird on the application, however, that doesn't mean we will only call concerning that bird. Another bird might be a better match.
7. Send in the 25.00 application fee. (nonrefundable)
7. Please do NOT call the Haven to check on the process. If you have not heard back from us within 1-2 weeks, feel free to EMAIL US at firstname.lastname@example.org to check on your application status.
8. When we are ready to go further with a specific adoption we will contact you to set up a phone consultation.
9. Once the phone consultation is complete, if you are still eligible for the adoption we will schedule a time for the in-home visit.
10. After the in-home visit is complete, you might be asked to set an appointment to visit the Haven and meet the bird you are hoping to adopt. We might need to have you come more than once to allow a bird to become familiar with you.
11. Once we are sure that you and the bird are a good match for each other you will be allowed to come to the Haven to complete the adoption process.
12. We recommend that you also read "The Bird Owner's Manual" by Emily Strong (free download from her website: www.frombeakstobarks.me).
*Just remember: we do what we do for the benefit of the birds, not for the people seeking to adopt them. Please don't ask or expect us to do anything less than this.
Wings of Love Bird Haven, Inc. may from time to time offer post-adoption education, training and counseling to the new owner. We also suggest that each new adoptive parent seeks different types of training classes that might be available to him/her. Companies such as http://www.goodbirdinc.com offers some very good DVD's and books for in-home training as well. We require each new adoptive parent to agree to allow Wings of Love Bird Haven, Inc. to remain in contact (including home checks if desired) for three full years. We also provide information and updates to the previous owner upon request.
We do have a local animal behavior trainer that we recommend if you want to hire someone to come to your home for more targeted training with your bird. Michelle has been a board member here at the Haven in the past as well as a volunteer trainer here at the Haven and has done great work with our birds. You can contact Michelle at email@example.com.
If you have any questions or comments regarding this process you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
WE ONLY ADOPT WITHIN THE STATE OF TEXAS AND OCCASIONALLY OKLAHOMA.
NOTE: we do not ship birds. There are NO EXCEPTIONS!
ready to begin the adoption process???
You can send in the Parrot Interest survey 3 different ways:
- Please fill them out online and email to email@example.com
- fax to 972 617-3936
- Send via mail to Bird Haven PO Box 182 Red Oak Tx 75154