Please Note: We only adopt birds to people within the state of Texas. On rare occasions will we ever adopt out of state... only when it is in the birds best interest to do so.
Wings of Love Bird Haven, Inc. is a rescue for unwanted, abandoned, neglected, abused, and/or injured parrots. It is of utmost importance that the best interest of each bird is considered at all times. These birds each have a story- a history- a life that is unique. Each and every decision that is made is made with the best interest of the bird in mind. There are many different reasons that birds are surrendered to the Haven. Here are just a few of them:
- They are too loud
- They are too destructive
- They are too messy
- They bite
- They are plucking their feathers
- I don't have enough time
- I'm having a baby
- I lost my job
- Bird was given as a gift- not really wanted
- doesn't like all household members
- It is too expensive
- death of family member
- and many more
Please remember that companion birds can be very expensive to take care of properly. They live a very long time; anywhere from 20-100 + years. You need to consider these things when you are considering adopting a parrot. Adopting a bird is not to be thought of as an easier and cheaper way to acquire a pet parrot. Whether purchasing retail or adopting, caring for a pet parrot is a huge responsibility and expense.The very best adoption results are with those people who are willing to come out several times and get to know the bird prior to the adoption. Spending time with them here in their familiar territory will help the bond once they are in your home environment. Because of this our adoption process is lengthy and strict.
*Just remember: we do what we do for the benefit of the birds, not for the people seeking to adopt them. Please don't ask or expect us to do anything less than this.
A few things to be aware of:
1. We never place birds with smokers including guests and roommates. this includes cigarettes, cigars, e-cigs and vaping. Also note this means people who smoke only outside, at work, in the car, or anywhere.
2. We DO NOT SHIP BIRDS.
3. We never place a bird with someone we haven't met, interviewed and visited with either here, in their home or both.
4. We never place bird in breeding or resale situations. We don't hate breeders or retailers... we just can't sell them birds.
5. If you adopt from us, you will sign a legally enforceable contract; you can read it ADOPTION CONTRACT (2019)
6. We do not place birds with minors. Parents may NOT "sign for" their children to adopt or make an adoption for them.
7. We will conduct a background check. If the board sees anything they don't approve of we will not make a placement.
1. Send parrot adoption application including the 25.00 application fee. This application fee is non-refundable. Please be sure to read all of the process to make sure you qualify prior to applying, and understand and agree that if for any reason you are denied the adoption the 25.00 fee is going to be used to help the birds in our care. There are 3 ways you can pay for the application fee:
A. Send the application and the check, money order or cashiers check to Bird Haven PO Box 182 Red Oak, Tx 75154
B. Email the application to us at email@example.com. Be sure to let us know you are mailing in the adoption fee or sending it via paypal. You can paypal us by using the email firstname.lastname@example.org.
C. FAX the application to us at 972 617-3936. Again- note on the application how you have paid the adoption fee.
2. Once the application/fee are received the board will will decide how to proceed. If they have any additional questions or concerns, they will contact you and ask for clarification. If they accept the application, we can move to the next step.
3. Parrot 101 Classes will periodically be conducted at our training center. The times and dates of each class can be found on the Calendar. Attending a Parrot 101 class is MANDATORY for all adopters. Household members are encouraged to attend. Due to space, we ask that only those living in the household where the new bird will live should attend. We need to know how many people are attending the class in advance. Class is restricted to ages 15 years of age and older. We will also provide a "distance class" for anyone that lives more than 50 miles away from our facility.
4. If all that goes well, we will need to set up a home visit. We will be looking for safety, health, space and all the other things that will work for the birds; it's about making the fit right. There will be a $25 home check fee required prior to the home visit payable online as described above for anyone within a 50 mile radius of one of our home checkers. If you are outside of a 50 mile radius, there will be additional fees to cover based on the GPS mileage, and it may take longer to schedule a home visit. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL WE SHIP A BIRD, OR MAKE A PLACEMENT WITH ANYONE WE HAVEN'T MET. WE ONLY ADOPT WITHIN THE STATE OF TEXAS.
5. If all has gone well with the above steps, we will need to schedule a visit to the Haven. We are located in Ferris, TX . With advanced notice we can schedule this almost any day of the week. This will have to be agreed upon by both parties. Since we've already met you, now it's time for you to meet our birds. Our goal is to match the person/family that is best for each bird. Please know the best fit may not be the one you applied for.
When you make an appointment, please be on time. We plan our schedule around each visit.
You will be asked to sign a liability release waiver prior to visiting with the birds. You can read this form Visitation_Liability_Release_Form
6. Depending on how this visit goes, we will determine if/when the final adoption will take place. If for some reason none of the birds are a perfect fit, we will hold your approved application for up to 1 year.
You must bring a suitable carrier to pick the bird up in. You must already have the cage set up and approved before taking the bird home.
*Please note: we feel that birds do best in the company of other birds. However, we prefer each bird to adopt individually to give the new bird and family members adequate adjustment time. We do not encourage birds to be introduced as cage mates as adult birds. If this is your only bird we encourage each family to consider adoption within 3-6 months to give your bird a flockmate.
Click here to see our adoptable birds.
Click here to see our adoption fees.
Last Updated on