If everything possible has been done and you find yourself in the position where you have to surrender your bird please follow the steps below:
- Please be sure that you have the legal right to transfer ownership of this bird to the Haven. If there is any doubt in your mind that you might not have this legal right (possibly owned by you and your ex for example) please contact that other person first and get the permission you need.
- Please be as honest as possible on the health of your bird. If there is any possibility in your mind that this bird is sick please let us know up front. This doesn’t mean we won’t help you or can’t take the bird- it just means we need to do things a bit differently.
- Fill out the Parrot Surrender Application. This form must be filled out as thoroughly as possible to give us as much information on the bird you are surrendering.
- Be prepared to pay the required surrender fee at the time the bird is surrendered. We would also appreciate it if you can provide for us his cage, accessories, toys and the diet that he is used to so that we can keep him as close to his norm as possible during the first few weeks of his stay here. He will adapt to this new “norm” but we prefer to give them time to adjust.
- Be prepared to pay a monthly surrender fee to take care of your bird during the first 6 mo to 1 year after his arrival here. These fees vary depending on the type of the birds from 35 .00 a month to 100.00 a month.
- Understand that within this time we will have our trainer working with your bird to determine his potential of adoption vs. Sanctuary life. If we as a board, staff and trainer deem that he is better suited for the Parrots 4 Life Program we would then ask that you continue to pay the monthly (yearly) boarding fee for your bird to remain on our property in the Parrots 4 Life program. Understand that parrots are a lot like people… each are so different. It might be that your parrot does better in a small family flock of same species birds instead of being forced to live in a cage in someone’s living room against his will. I’m sure you want the very best life possible for your feathered friend.
- If you agree to all of the above then please go to our Parrot Surrender Form and fill it out. Send it to the Haven along with the noted surrender fee. One of our volunteers and/or staff with contact you soon.
Last Updated on